Friday, January 11, 2013

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith -- YA Review


 The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith -- YA Review

Image Via Goodreads
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more? Blurb Via Goodreads
Details: Poppy/Little Brown, Released January 2, 2012, Hardcover, 236 pages
Genre: YA
Source: Library
Links: Goodreads

Stars? 5/5

In one sentence? Girl + guy + 24 hours = love?

Review:

A sweet and touching story that shows how everything can change in twenty-four hours. I adored this book. I adored Hadley. I adored Oliver. I adored everything about it.

It had a twist I didn't see coming. A twist that made me stop and think about everything that had come before in the context of that new knowledge. Smith doesn't wrap things up in a pretty bow at the end. I could appreciate that because life isn't like that, terrible things happen to us and we have to deal with them. 

I think the mark of a good book is that we keep thinking of it long after we've turned the last page. This book is one of those books. One particular line 'needed more time' kept repeating in my head. I felt like that too, I needed more time with this book, more time with Hadley and Oliver.

It's a relatively short book, only 236 pages, and it was a page turner. Smith's writing style was clear and crisp and the story was fascinating. If you see The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight definitely pick it up, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment